Tooth sensitivity can make the life of a person quite miserable. With increased tooth sensitivity, you may not be able to have even the mildly hot or cold foods. Moreover, the acid content in foods is going to make your teeth hurt. You will not be able to breathe in the cold air through mouth. Tooth sensitivity can make it quite difficult to apply pressure on the teeth.
Now, you may wonder how to deal with the tooth sensitivity. For this purpose, you will need to investigate the root cause behind tooth sensitivity. According to ADA, there can be a wide range of issues which can result in increased tooth sensitivity. Some of those root causes are:
- Tooth decay
- Fractured or chipped teeth
- Worn enamel or filling
- Periodontal disease
- Exposed root of tooth
- Infection in the oral cavity
Tooth sensitivity happens when dentin, the layer under the enamel, starts conducting hot and cold temperature to the innermost part of the tooth called pulp. This innermost area is composed of nerves and vessels which keep the tooth alive. When the tooth enamel wears out due to any reason, the dentin becomes more exposed against hot and cold temperatures. Dentin is the porous area which allows hot and cold temperatures to transfer into the tooth pulp. Presence of tooth enamel in healthy state ensures proper protection against hotness and coldness transmitted by the foods we eat.
When you get the sensitivity in your teeth increased, the first person you will need to consult is your dental professional. Your dentist is going to tell you about the products and natural remedies that you can use in order to get rid of the sensitivity which is bringing pain in your life. He/she may also suggest some professional treatments which would be provided to you upon your approval.
- The first thing your dentist will suggest you is the use of toothpaste for sensitive teeth. Although this toothpaste is not made to relieve sensitivity on permanent basis, you will still be able to get far amount of relief. Toothpaste for sensitive teeth usually contains potassium nitrate which desensitizes nerves inside the teeth.
- Another way which can have long lasting effects is the fluoride treatment. Fluoride treatment can strengthen tooth enamel by providing necessary minerals which keep the enamel strong.
- When you get the sensitivity of your teeth increased, you will need to make sure that you are not consuming anything which can increase this already increased sensitivity. For this purpose, your dentist is going to suggest you total avoidance of acidic foods which can be detrimental to tooth enamel.
- In case you have got your tooth root exposed, your dentist may choose to cover those roots with the help of sealant. Sealant is a plastic material which can cover the surface of the tooth and gets hold of the surface. It can work pretty well on exposed root.